Child Support Enforcement

The mission of Hancock County CSEA, is to operate a program for support enforcement in Hancock County that complies with both federal and state law and to provide all services relative thereto, in a courteous, professional manner.

Interstate Action

Interstate actions may be necessary when the assistance of another State’s Child Support Agency is needed to successfully establish orders, enforce and/or modify orders. When an Interstate Action is necessary, child support agencies work these cases cooperating under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA).



1. How do I know if my case should be an interstate case?

2. How long does the process take?

3. Can I have my support order modified if there are other states involved?

4. How do I get my Child Support Order enforced if the other party no longer lives in the state that issued the order?

5. Do I have to use the services of the Child Support Agency that issued my order?

6. What happens if I have been served to appear at a hearing in another state? Do I have to travel?

7. What happens if I disagree with the outcome of the hearing results rendered by another state? Can I object?



1. The Hancock County CSEA will exhaust all efforts to enforce your case even if the other party has moved out of state. Upon a decision made by our agency the process of Interstate Action may begin.

2. This varies, depending on what action is requested. Sometimes the process can take 6 months to 1 year or more. The Hancock County CSEA will keep you notified as to the status of your case and will closely monitor the progress. Our agency has specialized investigators who work all Interstate Cases.

3. Yes, either party may seek a modification of an order issued in any state no matter where they live. Issues regarding which state has authority to modify an order can be complicated. Your CSEA has tools available to make the assessment for you.

4. The CSEA can help you with enforcement no matter where the order was issued and no matter where the obligor resides within the United States. The CSEA has the tools available to asses whether one-state or two-state interstate process will be most effective. You can help the CSEA with making these decisions by providing the most current address and employment information for the obligor. If the other party lives in a foreign country, please ask the CSEA whether that foreign country cooperates with the U.S. to establish and enforce support.

5. The Obligee may choose to work with their local CSEA or work directly with the State which issued the order. The Obligee should choose one or the other to avoid any confusion. If more than one state is involved with your case please communicate your decision clearly to all states involved.

6. Please read your paperwork carefully. Generally you will not have to travel to another state to attend child support hearings, however if the paperwork says that you are “Ordered to Appear” or any similar statement you may be required to appear. Some states allow a party to participate in a hearing through telephone testimony. If you are scheduled to appear at an out-of-state hearing, please contact your local CSEA for more details.

7. If you do not agree with the decision rendered by another state an appeal may be possible. You must notify the CSEA immediately because there are time limits set for filing an appeal. The CSEA does not personally represent either party so you may choose to obtain your own legal representation. If the CSEA considers the decision to be proper under the applicable law, the CSEA will not appeal/object.

Please see additional information under OCDA Fact Sheets.